Friday, July 12, 2013

The Tracksuit: Our Cultural Brain-Fart

When it Comes to "Fashion," the tracksuit is our Cultural Brain-Fart (Among Other Things, I'm Sure)

I mean, basically.

I am shamelessly addicted to Buzzfeed. I visit the website daily, religiously. It gives me everything I need with out the commitment. I can get news, trash, or hilarity. Whatever. So as I was participating in my usual routine, winding down from my day when I came across “The 21 Most Ridiculous Tracksuits of All Time.” How could I not investigate? And as someone who survived not only the windbreaker trend of the early-mid 90’s but ALSO the Juicy Couture insanity of the 2000’s this post seemed like it promised a whole lot, and I wanted to see if it could deliver.

This is for real. 

So is this.

I feel like the tracksuit was a societal commitment to never get dressed again, unless specifically required to. Like a dress code or something. It was a collective decision that we no longer, as a whole were going to put in any effort. I think since, we have tried to undo the damage. Many a conversation has been had that centered on the complaint that people just “don’t get dressed anymore.” But how do we come back from the tracksuit? How can we forget? I took some of my favorites from Buzzfeed, to demonstrate the different ways the phenomenon manifested itself. (Also, because I wanted every single person I know to see the Buzzfeed list.) There was a range of expressions, from cool, to functional, and even, believe-it-or-not, some tried to make it a sexy after 5 look. See for yourself...


Because heels makes it classier.

To be fair, I think she is doing this ironically.


2 comments:

  1. haha I love seeing ridiculous fashion trends from the past. I never really bought into the velour track suit because it automatically makes me think of creepy 50-year-old men with chest hair peeking out from under the zipper. As for the wind-breakers, they didn't really break wind, I found, just made annoying crunchy swishes as I walked, or sat, or made any movement whatsoever. I should have just worn heels though, I bet that would have made the ensemble better. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, Best jackets in cheap price

    ReplyDelete