Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Complexities of a Creative Spirit: Alber Elbaz for Lanvin Paris


The Complexities of a Creative Spirit: Alber Elbaz for Lanvin Paris

Photography by Rene & Radka, WSJ Magazine
Let’s take a minute to talk about Alber Elbaz.  I find many fashion blogs gush over the clothes (and let us be honest, the clothes are Faboosh!) but they never, NEVER talk about the people who make them. 

Although I am not in a position to afford Lanvin for myself, I do frequently stalk the inter-web looking, and lusting for Elbaz’s creative masterpieces.  Lanvin is one of those labels that (especially as of 2001) always present a fantasy I can lose myself in.

http://bit.ly/KooJEx
Lanvin Winter 2012 Campaign, Lanvin Paris Website

The September issue of WSJ magazine featured an article edited from an interview with Julia Reed. In it, Elbaz speaks directly about his creative process. I love these types of articles and thank God there are people out there that believe this type of questioning is as important and interesting as I do, especially people with the resources to actually talk to creative masterminds. Lord knows there is plenty of vapid commentary about clothes and shoes. But Reed’s interview with Elbaz gives a considerate and meaningful glimpse into the creative brilliance of Elbaz.

I think many imaginative people would identify with Elbaz’s thoughts.  There is a difficult balance one needs to accomplished, and for many of us, the ability to create objects brings a sense of fulfillment.  Not everybody understands this, but it is real.  I know my creative process has carried me through many difficult periods of my life. I know it will always be there for me; I will always have this need to create and work with my hands. I felt Elbaz spoke to this impulse during his interview.  He claims:

“I don't just buy the dresses somewhere and present them on the runway—I make them. Sometimes it takes me 10 hours to make one jacket, one skirt. The fact that you are touching something yourself brings emotion to it. I was watching a chef on television and he took a lemon and squeezed it with his hand. He said that he could do it with a machine, but he felt that if he did it with his own hand the person eating the salad would be able to taste what he put into it. I put all of me into my work. This is all I have: I don't have kids; I don't have a family that I created. But I feel that every day I create a new family.”

Divine. What a beautiful and poetic notion? Individuals like Alber Elbaz are gifts bestowed to enrich our world. They inspire and move us. Their seemingly effortless work is born through tireless dedication, sacrifice and most importantly, love.

Kate Tepe
September 14, 2012

More from Winter 2012 Campaign:



Spring/Summer 2012





WSJ Magazine online:

Lanvin Website: 
www.lanvin.com/#/en/news

No comments:

Post a Comment