Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Oh Yeah, Men Wear Clothes Too, Mugler's Homage to Suiting


Oh Yeah, Men Wear Clothes Too
 Mugler's Homage to Suiting






















I always forget about Men’s runway shows. I just forget. And every-now-and-then I page through GQ, 10MEN, or VMAN searching and hoping to find something that will quicken my heartbeat and dilate my pupils, but more often than not I find the clothing, well, boring. (However, that Givenchy jacket on the home page of VMAN right now, worn by David Agbodji is just absolutely vicious!)  It is not that designers are putting out a safe, and lackluster story, but I assume, Men’s markets are so outrageously conservative, that the really Avant Guard fashion never, or rarely gets published. So again, I just never think about it.

The other day I was having a conversation over the phone with one of the unequivocal loves of my life. (You can check him out at Deviantattire.blogspot.com) We were flipping though collections on Style.com from fashion week and we were both looking at Muglar. He was gushing and I was…confused. He was looking at Men’s, I was looking at Women’s, and we didn’t know, at least at first, that we were looking at two different collections by the same designer. Which leads me to this post. I have totally neglected a lush spring of creative ingenuity, and honestly, SHAME. ON. ME. I know this market, personally; men who are looking for something to push the boundaries of our cultural expectations! Who find “androgyny” to be a high-end compliment that expresses the ability to move into otherness with ease and style, and to do so without surrendering their much-prided masculinity. These men believe a well-tailored suit is the sexiest thing in the world, but also understand that having the confidence and flair to experiment with the messages they convey visually with their appearance is just as sexy, if not sexier, so sexy, it is literally, OUT of our world. It is absolutely not about being gay, or straight, or trans, or anything else, it’s about expression.




























Below I have submitted images from Muglar’s Men’s and Women’s runway presentations. I personally find the Men’s presentation to be fresh and exciting. The structured silhouettes accompany daring cutouts paired with edgy, but classic jackets. Where as the women’s collection I find…kinda strong hit, or strong miss. However, it is not to say there are not good pieces, but one collection is, in my opinion much stronger than the other.


Please enjoy, because I know I have…

                     

                     



                      


                   























































Links: 
Mugler's Men's | Style.com
Mugler's Women's | Style.com
VMAN
GQ
10MEN
K. Michael's Blog


2 comments:

  1. Mary BangBang HancockOctober 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM

    I absolUTEly love that seafoam-green men's suit. I don't know if I would take anyone other than a man with a build like Brad Pitt seriously if they wore it, but honestly it would be a panty-dropper if he did. The ultimate combination of a "feminine" color on a man with a strong jaw line... heart palpitations. Also I've had a glass of wine.
    I think that the women's line is interesting, but I agree that it doesn't feel as daring as the men's. Some of the clothing looked like it was worn in one of the Matrix movies.
    Overall, and especially in the men's line, I loved the strong geometric, architectural clothing pieces. It seemed like his inspiration was a city skyline. Structural. I wasn't a big fan of the shorts, but I appreciated their effect- imbalance and exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree The sea foam-green is nice (and those shoes are awesome) I also like the black on black satin/silk suit. But I have made a habit of wearing black which make me partial.

    ReplyDelete